Most of the car owners face the annoying incident of dealing with bird droppings on their cars at some point of time. If you do not treat the bird droppings appropriately and if they are left to sit, they might leave ugly etching and almost permanent marks behind. Bird droppings are caustic and they can permanently damage the finish of a car. As the droppings might also contain grit, they can scratch the car’s finish, especially when you try to rub them off. Bird droppings can easily harden on a sunny day and they might cause more damage to your car’s exterior than coarse sandpaper. There are several home remedies which can be employed for removing bird droppings but if they have hardened into a dry mess then you will certainly require the advanced facilities of auto detailers.
Removing Bird Droppings from Cars
- Catch the droppings early: The best thing for removing bird droppings is to wipe and clean them away as soon as you see them. This is the right way to remove them as they will hardly leave any stains on your car. However, it is not always possible to do so and for hardened bird droppings, you certainly need more help than just wiping and cleaning with water. You can also use vinegar if you happen to catch the droppings early.
- Wash with water: Wash the exterior of the car with water. As water is a universal solvent, it will help to soften the droppings. It is important to soften the droppings before you attempt to scrub and clean them.
- Use a cleaning liquid: Cleaning liquids specially made for removing bird droppings are available in the market. You can make use of a cleaning liquid which is made up of natural ingredients rather than using the ones containing petroleum-based surfactants or those that are inorganic. Your aim should be to use a cleaning liquid which can remove the bird droppings without causing any damage to the car’s finish. You can also make use of fluids which contain orange, citrus oils, witch hazel, wintergreen or any other plant-based surfactants.
- Application: Mix the fluid according to the directions indicated on the bottle. Pour some of the fluid onto the soft cloth and rub the cloth on the area of the bird dropping.
- Removing the tough bird droppings: You can pour some of the fluid directly on to the area of the bird droppings. Leave the fluid for a few minutes so that it can react with the droppings. Then, take a clean cloth and gently try rubbing off the droppings. This will allow you to wipe off the droppings without having to spread it out on the entire car. For very tough and hard droppings, you can make use of non-scratch sponge.
Removing bird droppings can prove to be a very difficult task if you leave it out for a long time. For bird droppings which are impossible to remove at home, you should send your car for an intensive cleaning spree at an expert mobile auto detailing service.