Many a times, skunks passing through your yard may choose to spray the inside of your car and the odor that results from this can be definitely overwhelming. Skunk odor is not like the usual odors and it cannot be eliminated after a couple of sprays of a deodorizer. The worst part about skunk odors is that it lingers for a long time and it will also permeate everything. There is no doubt that skunk smell is indeed a difficult smell to remove but with the right techniques, you can easily remove it. With the aid of good cleaning techniques and with the right type of deodorizers, skunk smell can be removed from your car. However, there are certain tough kinds of skunk smell and for those odors; you must use the professional help of mobile auto detailers.
Removing Skunk Smell from Cars
- Using Car Shampoo: Start by washing the outside of the car with car shampoo and a garden hose. Most of the time, the skunk must have sprayed on the outside of the car. You should use tire cleaners to clean the tires.
- Cleaning the Inside of the Car: Leave the car doors open for as much time as possible so that you can let the fresh air in. This will aid you to disperse some of the harsh skunk smell. Remove all the mats and other removable items from the inside of the car and you can attend to these items after you have cleaned the larger interior surfaces.
- Make a cleaning mixture: You can make up a cleaning mixture using two quarters of hydrogen peroxide, one cup of baking soda and one cup of automotive shampoo and mix it in a plastic bucket. Apply it inside the car’s upholstery and wipe it off completely using a sponge.
- Making Use of Dashboard Cleaner: You can either use the dashboard cleaner to wash the dashboard or you can even use soap and water for this purpose. Once you applied the cleaner or the soap, you can use sponge to wipe it away completely. When you are wiping down the steering wheel, be careful.
- Using Skunk Odor Remover: You can make use of skunk odor remover to all the parts of the car upholstery. This remover needs to be sprayed or sponged on as per the brand. You should use skunk odor products in full-strength and it is not to be diluted with water. You can spray or sponge the skunk odor remover to the carpeting of your car. Also, make sure that you use the skunk odor remover and gently wipe it on the consoles and arm rests. Make sure that the car is dried out and close the car only when it is fully dried. When you close the car, do keep the windows open so that there is air ventilation.
- Use air deodorizer: Spray a good brand of air deodorizer inside the car interiors. When you are using the car at night, make sure that you keep the windows open. Also, keep two bowls of activated charcoal inside your car and leave it overnight inside the car.
Using the above techniques, you can easily remove the skunk odor from the inside of the car. However, if the above methods do not work, you can use the expertise of professional detailers.