Connect With Us:
  • youtube
  • pinterest
Call us now at 877-317-9737

Car Scratch Remover: 5 Home Remedies to Remove Car Scratches

Car Scratch Remover : 5 Home Remedies to Remove Car Scratches

5 Home Remedies to Remove Car Scratches

When a scratch appears on a car’s exterior, most responsible car owners search the shelves for specific car products, often being confronted with the many car scratch removers that are in the market today. But did you know that you need not look any further when your car has an annoying scratch? You’ll be surprised that your good ol’ household supplies cabinet may have been storing the best car scratch remover products you have ever imagined.

Car Scratch Removers Available at Home

What items in your home can double as car scratch remover products? Watch this video:

1.      Shoe polish
Before applying shoe polish, it is important to clean the area and examine the scratch carefully.  Wipe it with soap and water then dry thoroughly. Next, you’ll need a shoe polish that has a darker color than your car paint. Once you apply the shoe polish onto the area of the scratch, it will spread out and fill in the scratch or small dent. Now it will be easier for you to remove the scratch very gently using sand paper. Minor scratches can be removed by sanding down the surrounding area so that the scratch won’t be visible since the damaged area is now at the same level with its surrounding panel. This has to be done very carefully so that you won’t be sanding down too much. If you do, you could be damaging the next layer of paint, worsening the situation. The shoe polish guides you to sand without going too deep. You can continue sanding lightly until the applied shoe polish has been removed. Then you can use a cloth to buff the area and check if the scratch has disappeared. If the scratch is too deep an auto detailing shop would be your best option.

2.      Toothpaste
Yes, your trusted teeth cleaning partner is, surprisingly, a good car scratch remover too. Toothpaste has natural abrasive components that can erase minor scratches on your car. Just like using any other home remedy, make sure the damaged area is clean. Next, use the toothpaste to buff the area. The best way to do this is to use circular strokes, but there are other ways to buff your car. Wipe clean with a soft cloth and repeat the process if the scratch has not completely disappeared.

3.      Nail Polish
This colorful fingernail companion is also a good car scratch remover. Some scratches cannot be removed by buffing or sanding so the best way to deal with them is to cover them up. Nail polish is available in a variety of colors that can match any and every car color. This makes it an effective alternative car scratch remover. You just need to look for the closest color to your car paint that you can find and apply evenly so that the scratch will no longer be visible. If you can still see the scratch after application, you can try other car scratch removers available in the market.

4.      Candle wax
You can also use candle wax to remove light scratches on your car paint. It is not actually a car scratch remover but it can work really well to cover up light scratches. Ensure that the area is clean. Then, rub the candle wax very lightly onto the damaged area. The wax will cover up and seal the scratch.  Be aware that this remedy is only for car scratch emergencies, not a long-term solution.

5.      Super Glue
Super glue can serve as a transparent material that will level the scratch with the rest of the surrounding area. Its ability to blend with the surrounding surface makes it a great car scratch cover up. You just need to apply it thinly onto the scratch.

Home remedy options are recommended for minor car scratches only. Take note, however, that they may not be applicable for all types of scratches. So if you are not too sure about what to do, it is best to bring your car to professional detailers to for effective car scratch removal.

Enjoyed this post? Sign up for our newsletter to receive more valuable tips, ideas, coupons, and extras!

70 Responses to “Car Scratch Remover: 5 Home Remedies to Remove Car Scratches”

1. Soi says:

Super glue? I dont think so

2. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Soi,

Thanks for visiting us.

Super glue, like the rest of the items in the list, is just a home remedy, not a long-term solution. In your opinion, why is glue not a possible remedy for a car scratch?

3. Rina says:

Toothpaste doesn’t work. Tried it just made it worse.

4. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Rina,

Thanks for sharing. Can you please tell us more about your experience? How did toothpaste make the scratch worse?

5. Hassan says:

Hi I just took some scratches out of my sister car with toothpaste maybe it made your car worst because it not white

6. Liberty Baldovino says:

Thanks for sharing, Hassan. Glad that the toothpaste worked for your sister’s car. Have you tried the other remedies?

7. Christina says:

I tried clear nail polish and it worked great for some small scratches! It replaces the clear coat which is probably all that’s scratched! Check out some other great ideas here!

8. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Christina,

Thanks for sharing!

9. Raine says:

My car had a 3cm x 25cm area that had scratches along one side. Before reading this I tried regular dishwashing scrub sponge with some detergent with no difference. Then I tried the toothpaste (on a toothbrush) and it worked beautifully…. Thank you

10. Liberty Baldovino says:

Thank you, Raine, for sharing this with us. Glad that the toothpaste remedy worked for you. Would you recommend this remedy to a friend?

11. rachel says:

Toothpaste worked on my car…I scratched on concrete wall at laundry.

12. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Rachel,

That’s good to know. We’re glad our tips helped you. Would you like to tell us more?

13. miriam says:

The toothpast works really good ?????

14. cj says:

Hi, if I use toothpaste to remove a fine scratch should I use microfibre cloth or a soft bristle tootbrush? Tnx

15. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Miriam,

Great! Can you tell us more? How did the toothpaste work on your car’s scratch?

16. Deepak Arya says:

I got deep scratches on my car 🙁 can you help me with it

17. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Deepak Arya,

Thanks for dropping by. We’ll need some good photos of the scratches on your car. You can post them here or send them at info@detailxperts.net.

18. ravi says:

I got deep scratches on my car how to fix it can u help me.

19. Aejaz says:

Hi,

I got a deep line of scratch because some fool scratch it in the parking, could you please tell the best solution to remove it without going for garage.

Aejaz

20. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Aejaz,

So sorry to hear that. Can you please take a photo of your car scratch so we can properly assess the damage? Please send it to info@detailxperts.net.

21. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for reaching out. As much as we’d like to help you, we need to see pictures of your car’s scratches. That way, we can assess the damage and give you proper advice. Please send your photos to: info@detailxperts.net

22. Vijay M says:

Toothpaste works well on my sisters car scratches. Its good home remedy for small scratches

23. Liberty Baldovino says:

Thanks for sharing, Vijay M. Can you tell us more? Possibly share some before and after photos of your sister’s car scratches?

24. Aishwarya says:

Toothpaste works!!

25. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Aishwarya,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you tell us more?

26. Aniket Paul says:

I have received mild scratch on my matt blue fascino. Will toothpaste work on such colors?

27. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Aniket,

Generally, toothpaste works on mild car scratches. The question is, how mild is the scratch? Would it be possible for you to send us some photos of the scratch so we can give you proper advice?

28. Shivangi Goel says:

Does toothpaste remedy works for scratches on black car also? Plz help

29. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Shivangi,

Toothpaste works on minor scratches, but since you have a black car, why not try black shoe polish instead? Like toothpaste, it can serve as a temporary filler to “mask” the minor scratches on your car’s paint. I hope it helps.

30. Mohit says:

Sir is there any remedy to clean my scratch which I got on my silver car my car strucks somewhere the car got coloured scratch

31. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for reaching out. It would be very helpful if you can send some photos of your car scratch so we can properly assess it. You can send them to: info@detailxperts.net

32. Michael Barnes says:

I used the toothpaste and worked after two tries but i wet tbe scratches then dried before applying toothpaste

33. kavoris king says:

worked beautifully

34. deyan lobo says:

In my car bird is made two number means pooty it is very drak we cant remove it with any sollusion plz help us it is not going

35. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Deyan,

Thanks for reaching out. We’re awfully sorry to hear that. But as much as we’d like to help you, we need photos of the damaged area of your vehicle. Please send them to: info@detailxperts.net.

36. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Kavoris King,

Thanks for reaching out. Which of the remedies did you try? Can you tell us more about it?

37. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Michael Barnes,

Glad it worked out for you! How long did the toothpaste remedy last on your car scratch? Can you please share more?

38. Helen says:

Hi. I have some minor scratches on my plastic bumper. Will toothpaste work on this. My car is electric blue.

39. juhi jaiswal says:

I have scratch on ma white active..nd the white paint polish is scratched. Plz suggest how can i remove it?? Is there a spray for it ?

40. Anik pal says:

Hi yes toothpaste worked to some extent but its quite in few cm of length and my car is orange in colour please help me out…

41. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Anik Pal,

Thanks for dropping by. As much as we’d love to help you out, we need some photos to properly assess and suggest remedies for the scratch on your orange car. You can send the photos to: info@detailxperts.net. Thanks!

42. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Juhi,

Sad to hear about that. How deep is the scratch? If your fingernail can fit into the scratch, then, that is deep. Here are some blog posts that may help you out:

43. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Helen,

Thanks for dropping by. Can you please send us some photos to help us assess the minor damages properly? You can send them at info@detailxperts.net

44. Nivaas says:

45. Helga - Sonia San Miguel Eamiguel says:

Hi my car got a deep scratched and i have tried the toothpaste but it didnt work. is there any other remedies that i could use?

46. rachita says:

Does toothpaste will work in grey colour

47. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Rachita,

Thanks for reaching out. It really depends on how deep the car scratch is. Can you please send some photos to info@detailxperts.net so we can properly assess the damage?

48. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Helga,
    Sorry to hear that. Home remedies like toothpaste only work on light surface scratches. how deep is the scratch? Please send some pictures to info@detailxperts.net so we can assess the damage properly.

49. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Nivaas,

Thanks for visiting us. How deep is it? Please send some pictures to info@detailxperts.net so we can assess the damage properly.

50. Ariel says:

I tried using toothpaste but i dries the surface and added more thin line scratches. Help

51. Naman says:

Do all kinds of toothpaste works when it comes to removing scratches???? Please replyyy

52. Shiek says:

My black honda city have scratches on the bumper does toothpaste works to remove?

53. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Shiek,

We’re sad to hear about your car. How deep are the scratches? A good way to test this is the fingernail technique. If you can insert your fingernail in the scratches, then toothpaste can’t help. You can also send us some photos so we can assess the damage properly.

54. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Naman,
    Thanks for dropping by. As we mentioned in the blog post, “Home remedy options are recommended for minor car scratches only. Take note, however, that they may not be applicable for all types of scratches.”

55. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Ariel,
    So sorry to hear that. Did you try it on an inconspicuous area first?

56. Rahul K says:

Hi….Does toothpaste work for long period even after Washing…?

57. Joel says:

Will any tootpaste works in any colour

58. Ajay says:

Hi
    I have white car and have little light scratches on it so can you tell me which method will help more

59. Linda says:

Hello, my car is a dark blue color and I had recently backed my car out into a small decline in the road that forced my bumper to hit a wall. When I checked it out there were subtle dents that made the places a white color to my paint. Does the toothpaste remedy work for this?

60. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Rahul,

Home remedies like toothpaste provide temporary solutions. For best results, you’ll need to visit professional detailers.

61. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Ajay,

Sad to hear of your car’s scratches. But we need to see pictures so we can properly assess the damage. You can send them at info@detailxperts.net.

62. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Joel,

Generally, yes, any toothpaste works on any colour. It’s not the colour that makes toothpaste work on scratches, but the abrasives it contains.

63. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear that. As much as we’d like to answer your question, we’ll need to see pictures so we can assess the damage properly. You can send the to info@detailxperts.net.

64. Ken Adams says:

I haven’t got a scratch…another car has just touched mine slightly and left a coat of white dust that can’t be removed…any solutions?

65. Ajay says:

Hi there,
    I got a nasty scratch on my car,while crossing between two vehicles.A small part of the rear bumper tore off…I mean the earlier painted area,which had some kind of putty…besides which there is a long scratch on the back left door…what shout I do to cover the scratches?

66. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Ajay,
    Sad to hear about that. How deep is the scratch? It would help us give proper recommendations if we see some images. You can send them to info@detailxperts..net.

67. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Ken,

Based on your query, it’s paint transfer. Here’s an article that will help you address the issue: http://www.detailxperts.net/blog/2016/06/13/difference-paint-transfer-paint-scratch/. Try it, then please let us know how it goes.

68. suhail says:

I got scratches on my yamha scooty red coloured,,how to remove these scratches?plz suggest

69. Liberty Baldovino says:

Hi Suhail,

Sorry to hear about that. Can you send us some images so we can properly assess the damages? Please send them to info@detailxperts.com

Calendar