How Often Should You Clean Your Leather Car Seat Cover?
April 17, 2012
Most of the car manufacturer’s, especially those of high-end cars, install leather car seats which definitely offer the vehicle a sophisticated appearance. Leather is a natural material that is porous, and it helps to absorb dirt, odor and grime, however, it requires careful maintenance for a healthy finish. Two important factors that can cause damage to your car seats are sunlight and heat and these can easily cause the seats to get damaged and can cause the leather to fray or crack. The frequency of cleaning your leather car seats mostly depend on your frequency of driving the car and how long it sits in sunlight. Depending on these aspects, you can choose to clean your car seat once in three months, which will help you to retain the healthy color and appearance of leather. Leather needs lot of care and attention and it can easily be damaged if it is not taken care of properly. If you are unable to clean your leather car seats properly due to your hectic schedule, then you can seek the services of professional detailers for this purpose.
Cleaning Leather Car Seats at Home
- In order to clean your leather car seats, you must start by vacuuming the interior of the car completely. Make use of any attachments to the vacuum cleaner which will help you to remove the dirt and dust from the crevices of the car seat.
- Next, take a white cloth or sponge and by dipping it in water, wipe away the grime, dirt and residue that is present on the seats. After doing this, immediately, dry the seats off by using a dry towel.
- When you are using the leather cleaner, you must first check it on a concealed area inside the car. Use a fresh cloth or sponge and work the cleaner into the leather car seats so as to form foam. Make sure that you keep the foam for at least ten minutes before you wipe it away with a dry towel.
- Leave the test area for at least 24 hours and check for any discolorations. If the color of the leather seems to be just the same, then you can start using the leather cleaner on rest of the car seat.
- Repeat step 3 on a larger area of the car seat. Make sure that you make the foam sit for at least ten minutes and later on you can wipe it away using a dry towel.
- Clean all the leather surfaces using leather seats and also use it on the leather trim which might be present inside the car interior or on the door. You can also repeat the process for tough stains.
- Make use of a leather moisturizer and work it on the leather with the help of dry sponge or towel. You can also spray the leather sunscreen onto the leather seats which will indeed help you to create an extra cover of protection against dirt and drying from sunlight.
Leather car seats needs to be given great attention as without the extra care and maintenance, their majestic look will diminish over the period of time. For professional care for your leather car seats, you must visit a renowned mobile auto detailing services near your home.