How to Choose a Second-hand Car?
July 30, 2012
Choosing a good conditioned second-hand car is not a difficult task and you can save a great amount of money on such a car purchase. Even if the second hand car is in mint condition, it will lose value by a few thousand dollars as it has been already used by the first user. Following the right tips while buying a second hand car is important so that you get the best deal out of your investment.
Second Hand Car Tips
- Understanding the various car makes and models: When you go in for a second hand car, such cars must be at least a few years old and hence, it would be a wise decision to first get a thorough understanding of the various models of car. You must also gather sufficient knowledge with respect to the pitfalls which occurs in each car type.
- Consumer Reports: There are organizations such as the Consumer Reports who bring out information on used cars which have been maintained in the best manner. This will help shoppers get an idea of the best second hand cars that are available in the market.
- Talk to a mechanic: Before you go in for a second hand car, you can talk to your mechanic or professional detailer who will have strong ideas regarding car models and he can advice you on the type of second hand car models that you must avoid. However, when you seek the advice of a mechanic, make sure that the individual is not associated with any dealership.
- Mechanic Evaluation: Before you make your decision of going in for a second hand car, you must make an independent mechanic or mobile auto detailer analyze the vehicle. It is important not to solely go in with the advice of the dealer or the previous owner. The mechanic will be able to thoroughly check the vehicle and can in turn give an unbiased opinion about the vehicle.
- Vehicle report companies: There are several vehicle report companies who will list accidents or major repairs that the second hand car has endured and this will help you to judge if your purchase is a good deal or not. Accident reporting service has been provided by several websites and you can check on these websites before you buy the used car.
Second hand cars can be purchased from dealers or private owners, however, you will be charged more if you are purchasing from a dealer. In all, you can easily buy a second hand car in mint condition if you follow the above tips.