Waxing Your Car: Do’s and Don’ts
October 8, 2012
Waxing your car is very much important in order to preserve the value of your vehicle but it has been noticed that most of the car owners do not wax their vehicles at all. Most of the motorists believe that waxing a car is not required when the car seems to have a clear-coat finish but this is just a myth. Motorists should remember that the clear coat finish is only as thick as paper and this is bound to get easily damaged from the effect of the sunlight, acid rain, UV radiation, dirt, salt and air pollution. Let us find out the dos and don’ts that you must take care of while waxing your car.
Do’s of Waxing Your Car
- Complete drying of the car is a must before you start with the car waxing process. However, you must not leave your car to dry under the sun as this may lead to the appearance of spots which will cause difficulty during the waxing process.
- You must use a clean sponge or a car wax polisher pad for applying the wax and make sure that you dampen it before you apply wax on it.
- The best way to apply wax on your car is to apply it in clockwise and circular motions. In this way, you can cover the entire car in no time.
- Once you have applied the wax, go back to the point where you started and use terry cloth to remove the wax by moving the cloth in anti-clockwise, circular motions.
- For that high-gloss shine, you must make sure that you keep rotating the cloth that you have used. Rotating your cloth will allow you not to produce any streaks.
Don’ts of Waxing Your Car
- While shopping for a car wax, don’t go in for the very expensive ones. Sometimes, the cheaper brands may also give you the desired results without having to shell out the extra money. All you need to look for is that the wax is non-abrasive. Also, checking out reviews on wax products will help you to buy a good product.
- Don’t wax your car when it is dirty as this will lock in the grime or dust on the car’s surface. Many of the car owners just give a quick rinse to the car before they start the waxing process which is so wrong. You must at least wash your car two or three times before you start with the waxing process.
- You must definitely refrain from applying car wax on your vehicle at high noon. This is because the scorching heat from the sun will actually bake the wax on the car’s paint and will make it extremely difficult to remove it. It might also damage the car’s surface adversely.
- You must avoid using leftover rags while waxing your car. If you are looking for an amazing and streak free shine, then you must avoid these rags and should invest in cloth diapers or terry towels. Also, do not just work with one or two towels because this will not be enough. Instead, make sure that you have a dedicated supply of terry cloths with you.
- You must remember that while waxing your car ‘less is more’, which means that the car wax must be applied as thinly as possible and you should take precautions in order to check that you do not smear.
The key for creating a flawless wax shine on your car is to properly apply the car wax, just as the professional detailers would do. You may always have time to create that high gloss shine for your car right from your home, but if you are looking for that professional shine without putting in the efforts, you can schedule an appointment with us and we will be happy to help you.