Rain X Review – Do Headlight Restoration Kits Work?
July 24, 2014
As DetailXPerts, we have committed ourselves to research about and test each auto detailing product before we use it for any of our projects or recommend it to our readers. This Rain X review contains important information about the product, its contents, uses and applications.
Rain X Review
Our car’s headlights play a vital role in keeping us safe when driving at night. They guide us through dark, rainy or snowy roads and make us visible to other cars and pedestrians. But through the passage of time and exposure to the elements, headlights turn foggy and yellowish, which decrease their functionality. For economic reasons, most car owners use headlight restoration kits instead of buying new headlights. Rain X is one such product favored by most people today.
Rain X Review: What the kit contains
The Rain X Headlight Restoration Kit is specifically designed to remove the foggy and yellowing surface that builds up on plastic headlights. The kit is made up of three sanding pads of varying grits, a spray bottle of sanding lubricant, a spray bottle of sealant, a bottle of headlight restorer and a polishing cloth.
Why has Rain-X captured the hearts of most of its users? What benefits does it have for car owners like you? We have searched top Rain X review sites and asked our expert detailers. We then compiled their answers and here is what we came up with:
A complete set of Rain-X is priced at $14, not really among the cheapest brands, but the results it can provide to your headlights more than makes up for the cost. Not to mention that you can use it for several other pairs of headlights.
More than 80% of actual users attest to the effectiveness of Rain X when it comes to restoring headlights. It can remove the thick, yellowish film that has accumulated in their headlights and it can make their headlights look a great deal better.
- Promotes safety
When the plastic casings of your headlights are clearer, their lights will shine brighter, giving you a better view of what lies ahead even on dark and snowy nights. This will prevent you from encountering accidents that may lead to loss of property or worse, loss of life.
How to use it
Using Rain X is not as difficult as it seems. Here is an easy-to-follow guide that you may use to restore your headlights to an almost like-new condition:
- Clean the headlight with car wash soap and water. Dry it well.
- Spray some lubricant into the headlight and polish in a diagonal direction with pad #1. You will notice a yellowish film form on top of the headlight as you finish the first step. Do not be alarmed. This simply means that Rain X is already removing the oxidation in your headlight.
- Spray the headlight with lubricant again. Use pad #2 and polish in an up and down direction. Remove the white, cloudy film that forms on the surface.
- Repeat step 3, but this time, polish the headlight diagonally with pad #3. By this time, your headlight would already have lost the oxidation but is still cloudy in appearance.
- Put some headlight restorer into the polishing cloth and rub it to the headlight, using a circular motion. Repeat the process until the fog is no longer visible.
- Wash the headlight with water and dry thoroughly.
- Using a soft cloth, apply the sealant onto the headlight. Use paper towels to remove the excess.
- Repeat the process on the other headlight.
Does it work?
Yes, Rain X works provided you follow the instructions carefully. Some people make the mistake of using the polishing pads in any order. For best results, the polishing pads must be used successively as each is specifically designed for use at a particular stage. For example, when the instruction calls for pad #2, then use that pad alone.You must also take into consideration that not all headlights are created equal. Some headlights are difficult to restore while others take less than an hour to work on.
Did this Rain X review help you out in your search for a headlight restorer? Next week learn the do’s and don’ts of headlight restoration. But if you are not the DIY type, why don’t you schedule an appointment or call us at 877-317-9737 and see how we can help!
Enjoyed this post? Sign up for our newsletter to receive more valuable tips, ideas, coupons, and extras!