10 Truck Detailing Supplies to Avoid
April 20, 2015
If you are a truck enthusiast, maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of your semi and improving its performance and durability is of utmost importance. These goals cannot be reached unless you have the best truck detailing supplies. But what if these “best” products are laden with chemicals that are hazardous to your health and the environment?
The US Household Product Database (USHPD) and goodguide.com flag cleaning and detailing products that contain dangerous chemicals which can cause a multitude of ailments from skin diseases to cancer. Out of hundreds of such products, we have selected ten truck detailing supplies that you should actively avoid.
1. Armor All Car Wash Concentrate – This product contains a carcinogen called Cocamide DEA which has been found to cause dangerous skin diseases. Additionally, it contains two chemicals, Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium Laureth Sulfate, which are known skin irritants. The former can also cause respiratory ailments.
2. 3M High Power Brake Cleaner – This contains Ethyl Benzene, a suspected carcinogen. Ethyl Benzene is also suspected of causing a variety of other diseases such as skin, respiratory and kidney toxicity.
3. Rain-X Ice-X Windshield Washer Fluid – This product is highly flammable and exposure to it can cause skin irritation, visual impairment, nausea and headache. Chronic exposure can even lead to blindness and death.
4. Turtle Wax Platinum Series All Wheel and Tire Cleaner – Repeated or excessive inhalation of the harmful vapors of this product can cause irritation and nausea.
5. Eagle One EnviroShine All Wheel & Tire Cleaner – This product can cause severe eye irritation. Exposure to the skin can cause burning and other skin damage. If you already have skin conditions and respiratory ailments like asthma, refrain from using this product because its chemicals can aggravate your condition.
6. Eagle One MAG Wheel Cleaner – This product contains hydrofluoric acid, a highly dangerous substance that can cause severe skin burns and permanent eye damage. Since this acid’s effects cannot be sensed and noticed immediately, treatment can be delayed, consequently leading to severe and permanent damage. Additionally, it contains sulfuric acid, a known carcinogenic.
7. Armor All Ultra Shine Wash & Wax – This is another Armor product that contains the carcinogen Cocamide DEA and other chemicals that cause skin and respiratory toxicity.
8. Eagle One Wax As-U-Dry – This product can affect the central nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Prolonged exposure can lead to skun dryness, irritation and burns. Its petroleum-based content makes it a potential carcinogenic.
9. 3M Body Shop Clean-Up Tire Dressing Concentrate – This tire dressing contains both Benzene and Ethyl Benzene. Exposure to these chemicals can lead to cancer, liver diseases, respiratory toxicity and kidney failure.
10. Black Magic Tire Wet – The fumes of this product can cause lethargy and dizziness and skin exposure can lead to dryness and cracking. Constant exposure to its chemicals for long periods can lead to organ damage.
These are only a handful of truck detailing supplies that contain hazardous chemicals. And because there are hundreds of such dangerous products in the market, it is recommended that you exercise the following precautions:
- Do your research before purchasing any truck detailing product. USHPD and goodguide.com as mentioned above are reliable information sources.
- If you are planning to take your semi to a truck detailing service, first inquire about the products they use. If they are using any of the products listed above, don’t hesitate to walk away.
The best alternative is, of course, to use organic truck detailing supplies and to choose a detailer who only utilizes organic products.
Spread the word about the dangers of using chemical products. Share our list and any products that you discover to be dangerous with others.
If you are in need of reliable green truck detailing service, check out DetailXPert’s convenient locations.
Enjoyed this post? Sign up for our newsletter to receive more valuable tips, ideas, coupons, and extras!