Windshield Chip Repair: Why You Should Do It Immediately?
July 13, 2015
Rushing to an auto detailing service for a windshield chip repair might seem like an overreaction, especially if the chip is barely visible. However, a small chip can quickly expand to a large crack which may consequently cause multiple issues to both vehicle and passengers. Learn below why windshield chip repair should not be taken lightly.
Why Shouldn’t You Ignore Windshield Chip Repair?
1. It will go from bad to worse due to the following reasons:
- Accumulation of dirt. Driving a vehicle with an exposed chip on the windshield makes it a magnet for dirt and debris. Windshield wipers and natural elements like rain and snow will force dirt further into the chip. Windshield chip repair becomes close to impossible when the chip has been exposed for a long period. Even if it can be done, the repair job won’t give you the smooth, invisible results that you expect.
- Changes in weather. Neither heat nor cold is good for a windshield chip. Not only the weather conditions of the exterior, but both the air conditioner and the heater will contribute to the expansion of the chip.
- Vibrations. Jolting the vehicle will also cause the chip to spread. The same goes when you play loud music and slam vehicle doors often.
2. A chip that has grown will hinder your vision
A windshield crack is always a safety hazard because it can impair your ability to see the road clearly. Sticking a piece of clear tape over the crack may be a quick remedy, but you have to make sure that the tape does not obstruct your view of the road.
3. A windshield crack is a hindrance to the overall appearance of the car
A cracked windshield is not a pretty sight. No matter how clean and shiny the vehicle is, a crack that is left unattended will render useless all the hard work it takes to maintain a vehicle. It will also hint at the ignorance and carelessness of the vehicle owner.
4. The bigger the crack, the bigger the repair costs are
A small windshield chip can be repaired quickly at home with the use of a repair kit such as Rain-X. It will cost you less than $20. With the growth of the chip, repair becomes harder, hence an auto body shop will charge you a hefty sum. If the damage is beyond their ability to salvage your windshield, they will recommend a windshield replacement, which generally costs upwards of $1000.
The windshield of your vehicle should be in perfect condition at all times. A small chip on it, as seen above, can compromise the safety of the passengers, affect the overall appearance of the vehicle, and cost you a bundle to repair. When you are taking your vehicle to an auto repair shop, make sure that you get the help of professionals to avoid more damage or unnecessary windshield replacement.
Call DetailXPerts at 877-317-9737 if you are in need of windshield chip repair. Our professionals are ready to offer you world-class windshield repair services.
Enjoyed this post? Sign up for our newsletter to receive more valuable tips, ideas, coupons, and extras!