People always debate whether steam cleaning engines is a necessary part of car maintenance. As a leader in this process, we always say that it is necessary, but not mandatory. We inform our customers of its advantages and disadvantages, but the decision to use or not to use this service is up to them.
What are its advantages and disadvantages? Read on and find out.
Advantages of Steam Cleaning Engines
- Safety. Steam cleaning significantly reduces the incidence of accidents brought about by engine fire.
- Longevity. It can extend the overall life of the car engine. A clean and well-maintained engine is safe from rusting and clogging which may affect and reduce the performance and longevity of an engine.
- Early detection. Through this process, the source of any type of fluid leaks can be identified. Most engine fires are attributed to unidentified leaks which could have been prevented through early detection. But how could the leaks be detected if the engine is covered with mud and grime?
- Beauty. It can improve the engine’s appearance and increase its resale value. Some people believe that cleaning a car’s engine is an attempt to mask its defects. We think otherwise. A clean car engine sends this message: this car is well-maintained, loved and protected, so it will be beautiful and functional for a longer period of time.
Disadvantages of Steam Cleaning Engines
- Electric Control Systems: Improperly done, steam cleaning can damage the electronic engine controls. This is why sufficient knowledge on how to perform engine steam cleaning is highly recommended.
- Ignition System: A car’s ignition system is composed of ignition coils, cables and the spark plugs. All these components are sensitive to water. If these components get damaged during steam cleaning, a car’s functionality and longevity may be affected. Not to mention that you will need to spend money for replacing the system.
- Air-Intake System: An automobile air intake system has three main parts: air filter, mass flow sensor, and throttle body. This system is generally resistant to steam cleaning. However, improper use of high-pressure steam can disconnect ductwork. If this happens, water can get to the engine thereby affecting its performance.
Steam cleaning a car’s engine has its own set of pros and cons. Among the pros are: safety, longevity, early detection and beauty. The downside is that it mght affect the different systems that are essential to a car’s functionality and longevity.
If you would like to have your car’s engine steam cleaned but have doubts regarding performing engine steam cleaning by yourself, it would be best to ask your professional detailer for help. You can also consider booking an appointment with us if you would like to steam clean on your car engine.