Top Five Tips to Deep Clean Your Car Seats
August 16, 2012
A lot of us consider our vehicles as an extension of our home. We eat, sleep, and even care for our kids inside our car. But these activities can leave contaminants that can harbor harmful germs and bacteria later on. This is why you need to deep clean your car seats regularly. Otherwise, you and your passengers health may be compromised in the long run.
How to Deep Clean Your Car Seats: 5 Steps
- Vacuuming: Deep cleaning your car seats starts with thorough vacuuming. This removes loose contaminants – sand, dirt, hair, fur, food scraps, etc. You can either use a hose extension or a handheld vacuum. Vacuum all seats, including the areas underneath each.
- Shampooing: Shampoo car seats to remove hard-to-remove dirt and grime. This will also loosen up different types of stains – blood, oil, chocolate, etc. We recommend organic shampoo as this does not contain harsh chemicals that can damage the material of your car seats.
- Washing leather car seats: Washing the car seats is also an important part of deep cleaning. Cloth-covered car seats are easier to wash when compared to the leather car seats. Make use of an effective leather cleaner for cleaning leather car seats. Always follow package instructions to avoid leather discoloration and damage. Another way of cleaning leather is to make a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar. The best part about this solution is that you can also use it on plastic, chrome and vinyl.
- Washing cloth covered car seats: There are shampoos that are specifically available for cloth covered car seats. Wash as per package instructions. Rinse the covers thoroughly and hang them to dry.
- Stain removal: You must look out for stains on the car seats and treat them accordingly. It is important to pre-treat the stains so that they can be easily removed when you wash them off.
Deep cleaning of car seats is a must on a regular basis to keep you and your passengers free from the hazards brought about by germs and bacteria. It can also help lengthen the life and improve the appearance of your car seats.
If you find it hard to squeeze in enough time to do this at home, you can schedule an appointment with rofessional detailers. They have the right tools and materials to deep clean your car seats.
Enjoyed this post? Sign up for our newsletter to receive more valuable tips, ideas, coupons, and extras!