How to Wash Car Seats?
August 23, 2012
Maintaining a clean car seats will help you to keep up the resale value of your car. Moreover the cleaning method which you should employ will depend on the kind of car seats which you have. All you need is some cleaning products and by investing some time into this, you will be able to maintain your car seats in its brand new condition, without even having the need to turn to the help of auto detailers.
Washing Cloth Seats
- Vacuum with attachments
- Upholstery Cleaner
- Spot or stain remover
- A stiff brush
- Soft rag cloths preferably white in color
- Wet vac (if needed)
Steps to Wash Cloth Car Seats:
- Start with vacuuming the surfaces of the car seats so that any type of loose dirt or debris will be removed. The attachments associated with the vacuum are of great help in reaching the tight crevices and also to reach for the dirt and dust in between seats and console.
- Now, take a careful look at the seats so that you can spot any areas that have been stained which will require extra cleaning. Also, take your time to identify weak areas as this will help you to understand to be careful while cleaning such areas.
- You must use upholstery cleaner on the car seat surface and make sure that you use it in small sections.
- Spread out the cleaner with the help of the stiff brush. If you have stained and heavily soiled areas, you must perform extra scrubbing on such areas.
- Certain stains and soiled areas cannot be completely cleaned using the upholstery cleaner and for such difficult parts, you must make use of a spot remover.
- Use the white, soft cloth to wipe off any of the excess cleaner.
- Certain cleaners may not need rinsing. Read the instructions on the product label to determine if the product needs to be rinsed or not.
- Make sure that you allow the seats to dry off completely. Keep the windows open so that you can allow enough ventilation and this will also avoid the growth of molds and mildew.
Cleaning Leather Car Seats
- Vacuum with attachments
- Leather Cleaner
- Soft Cloths
- Leather Conditioner
Steps to Clean Leather Car Seats:
- Make sure that whenever you are cleaning leather car seats, it must always be done in the shade.
- Vacuum the leather car seats in order to remove any dirt or debris.
- Use a clean and dry sponge and apply the leather cleaner on the seats.
- Apply the cleaner in circular motions over the surface of the car seat and make sure that the entire surface of the seat is covered with the cleaner.
- Make use of a clean and dry soft cloth to use on the car seat surface.
- It is always a good idea to work in sections so that you can give due attention to each part of the car seat.
- Use the leather conditioner on the car seats by applying it onto a soft cloth.
- Make sure that you leave the seats for at least an hour to dry completely.
Always remember that car seats need to be given extra care as they endure a lot while we use them. If you feel you do not have the time and patience to wash your car seats at home, then you can book an appointment with any renowned professional detailing experts.